Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Welcome!


Hello and Welcome to Purely Nourished!


I am so excited to have a fresh new place to journal my culinary creations and health journey. If you have joined me from my previous blog, GettingRaw.com you will know that it has been quite an experience so far. I have learned so much about natural health in the last few years and have fully come to believe that what we eat is really the root cause of health or illness. We really do have a choice. Most of us, myself included, have life long eating habits and tastes that have not served our better health.  I plan to explore a more plant based side both raw and cooked and hopefully learn to make this an easy and effortless habit.

If you are a fan of The China Study, Dr. Joel Fuhrman, Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, Engine 2 Diet, Food Inc, Food Matters, Forks over Knives, or any of the other recent books or films depicting the health that can be ours by following a plant based diet, then you might enjoy this blog. I plan to follow these plans for a heart healthy eating plan that focuses on low salt and fat and high nutrients centered around fresh whole foods.

As I have quite a collection of health books with recipes both raw and cooked, and more are arriving all the time, I thought I might work my way through some of these recipes, do reviews and also create some of my own. I also plan to explore some of the ingredient options available.  For instance is there such a thing as a good and healthy vegan cheese? If you've ever wondered this and about some of these books and whether their recipes are any good, I can fill you in from our perspective of course.

And what is our perspective?

Neither Rich or myself have been vegetarians, and have been mostly raised on the Standard American Diet (S.A.D.) with several years on high protein diets. We also have had a habit of eating a lot of restaurant food, so we are really coming from a highly processed food background (as most restaurant food is.)  So if we can do it, anyone can.

But will we like it? That's already happening. Our tastes are changing and we just feel better. Good start!

If you are not ready for a fully vegan diet but are open to incorporating some more plant based dishes into your meal routines, then I am happy to have you a long for the ride. Even if it's a side dish made with whole foods you are considering, you are taking a step to better health. Good for you!

I saw a show of Jamie Oliver's, Britain's Naked Chef, where he went to a preschool and showed kids fruits and vegetables and asked them if they could name them. They couldn't. That's how few real foods are in the American kitchen these days. It's very sad. Grocery stores have grown in size but the departments of real food have been shrinking.

So step away from the boxes and packages of "food," and join me for a journey into real and whole plant based food.

It's going to be fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment