Friday, July 12, 2013

Raw on the Run- Lara Bites



I have to apologize. We are away from home at the moment and due to an overcrowded hotel internet service, I have not been able to post as I had planned. I have been trying at different times during our stay to edit photos or even upload them from my camera but my connection keeps getting lost. In a last ditch effort, finally I was able to connect tonight and nearly 12 am! I guess everyone is going to sleep as I should be. I was afraid it could have been my computer so it is a relief but since this is a working trip, this is not very feasible for posting, so this may be my only post until I return home. So sorry.

Before leaving home, I made an effort to stock us with some food for the trip. We were able to keep most of it in the hotel mini bar fridge and it has saved us from dining at unpredictable restaurants for the most part of our meals.

One of our favorites is this recipe, which I have to confess was one of my very first attempts at making raw food several years ago. It's a staple in the raw food community, known widely as Ani Phyo's Donut Holes. Since it really does not compare to sugary donut holes other than by looks, I prefer to call them "energy bites" as that seems more fitting.

Dates, dried pineapple, coconut, and almonds are about what you will find in a Lara bar, and since a bite size is enough to satisfy, "Lara Bites" it is!

This is very simple to make and with few ingredients, it makes a nice alternative to buying Lara bars.


Lara Bites aka Ani's Donut Holes

Donut Ingredients
  • 1 ¾ cups almonds
  • ½ teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 vanilla bean, scraped
  • 2 cups dried pineapple, chopped
  • 2 cups pitted dates
  • 1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup shredded coconut
Donut Directions
  1. In food processor, place almonds, salt, and vanilla.
  2. Process into a fine powder first.
  3. Slowly add chopped pineapple and dates, mix well.
  4. Place in a large bowl. Mix in 1/3 cup shredded coconut.
Finale
  • To serve, use an ice cream scooper or spoon to form donut holes.
  • Roll holes in ¼ cup shredded coconut. 
  • Will keep for over a week in the fridge.
From the book Ani’s Raw Food Kitchen by Ani Phyo
Rather than me showing photos of how to make these, (which I can't seem to upload anyway) I decided who better to show the process than Ani herself. So here is a video of Ani the amazing, making her delicious raw donut holes.



These little balls will keep nicely in your refrigerator for about a week. If you don't think you'll eat them that fast, I would suggest freezing them, which is what I do and they will keep for considerably longer.



I hope you consider trying these.  I will resume my blog posting when I return. I do have some lovely dishes that I created for the trip as well, mostly raw as that just worked the best for traveling. Hope you are all enjoying your summer.

Until next time, and when I return to better internet service...
Take care.



No comments:

Post a Comment