Saturday, May 11, 2013

Kale Waldorf Salad


Looking for a tasty way to add more kale into your life? Then this salad is for you.

Kale, walnuts, cran- raisins, apple, celery tossed in a creamy and tangy non dairy dressing for a salad that tastes even better a little later.

I received the heads up about this recipe from my friend, Jeannette Marchand, who had just come from a Whole Foods' class and had to share. She said she not only had it for lunch but also dinner. She and her husband could not stop eating it. So of course, I had to give it a try.

The original recipe is here on the Whole Foods website but I did adapt it a little so I will share my version here.

Kale Waldorf Salad


Ingredients:

4 cups raw kale, chopped finely ( I used a whole head)
1 large red apple, I used a Fuji, cored and chopped
1 cup chopped celery (about 2 ribs)
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons Cran-raisins or raisins
1- 2 Tablespoons of Dijon Mustard
2 tablespoons of water, or more if needed
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/8 tsp sea salt  I do not use salt but if you must...


Tear away bigger leaves from the stems (optional but the stems are a little bitter), roll up the leaves and chop finely and place in a bowl. Add the juice of 1/2 a lemon and squeeze the rest of the lemon in a big glass of drinking water to refresh yourself- just a suggestion. Now with your hands, massage the lemon juice into the leaves. This helps to tenderize the leaves and you will visually see the leaf pile get smaller. Set aside while you make the rest of the salad.


To chop the apple, I decided to try out this onion chopper to see if I could get a fine and even apple dice. I just had to first slice the apple into the thickness I wanted the apple dice to be. It worked. Did I save time? That's debatable but I always forget I even have this thing. It does help keep the crying with onions to a minimum though.


For the Dressing:

Blend half the apple, 1/4 cup of the walnuts, 2 tablespoons of the Cran-raisins, the mustard, the water, and the vinegar until well combined. Add water to thin if needed but you want it like a mayonnaise consistency. Warning: It will be pinkish in color if using Cran-raisins.


Add the remaining ingredients to the kale and top with the dressing. Toss.


Ta da! 
You may want to double this recipe. It will keep in the fridge covered for a few days, if it lasts that long. 

Looking at this picture, you can see why I chose Cran-raisins- color. The designer in me will always go with color. Plus the more color in your food, the more antioxidants in your body.

Big thanks to Jeannette for sharing this one!

Have you stumbled across a low fat vegan recipe you think I should try, hit me up in an email either here or through the Purely Nourished Facebook page. I love to learn of new recipes and will share it here if I use it.

This was my first submission for Healthy Vegan Fridays Blog Party. You can check it out here.

Until next time…
Keep eating those veggies!










Ps: Tomorrow is already Sunday so the Super Soup Sunday post will be fast on the heels of this one. Double Post weekend!

Find us on Facebook here, Follow on Pinterest here, and See what we're up to on Instagram here.

4 comments:

  1. You had me at "kale!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just made this had to substitue tahini for walnuts however still Delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback Vous Eclairer. Perfect substitution idea. Glad you enjoyed!

      Delete