Sunday, June 16, 2013

German Chocolate Banana Ice Cream


Banana Ice Cream for those that don't already know about this delectable treat, is a simple blending of frozen bananas to create a frozen treat similar to ice cream without the dairy, sugar, salt or in the case of store bought ice cream, chemicals.

It's super easy and even for the most dedicated ice-cream eater (me) it replaces the need to ever buy ice-cream or frozen yogurt again. YAY!

I have to confess, when I am home alone and not preparing food for others, this often will be my meal of choice, covered in fresh berries and maybe a handful of walnuts. It's fully satisfying.

You can customize it to your every taste.


German Chocolate

Yesterday I started making a German Chocolate version. Today being Father's Day, it has become all too clear that it was no coincidence.

German Chocolate Cake was a favorite of my dad's. He passed when I was very young, but not before he got me hooked on this favorite flavor combo, which is rich chocolate, coconut and pecans.

So for today, I dedicate this recipe to my dad, a very special man who changed my life forever.


Ingredients:


4 frozen bananas, sliced in coins before freezing makes it easier to blend
splash of vanilla
1/4 cup almond milk, unsweetened
2 tablespoons Cacao, Cocoa or Carob
2 tablespoons pecans, chopped
2 tablespoons dried unsweetened coconut

For Blender:

Blend bananas with splash of vanilla and add enough almond milk to get it mixing. Often it's better to pulse to get it going. When you get the vortex and it's creamy, add in the coconut and cacao, cocoa or carob and blend until well combined. The coconut will make it no so creamy. Stir in pecans until well combined.

For Food Processor:

Add the frozen bananas and pulse to get it mixing. 
Adding an unfrozen banana will help it mix better too but that's optional.
If not using an unfrozen banana then add milk as needed. You want it to look creamy with no chunks.
Add the cacao, cocoa or carob and coconut and blend again. Stir in nuts.

It should be the consistency of soft serve now and you have a choice:

Eat as is or freeze in a sealable container to harden.

Personally I usually just eat it soft serve style and creamy but here I made enough for 4 (did I say 4?- oops!) so I froze it to scoop out later.



It needs to soften a bit before ready to scoop. Top with additional pecans and coconut bits.


And there you have it, German Chocolate Banana Ice Cream.


I think this is a perfect share for Gluten-Free Cats' Raw Thursday as well as Healthy Vegan Fridays.


Now go get yourself more bananas!

Happy Father's Day!!!










Find us on Facebook here, Follow on Pinterest here, and See what we're up to on Instagram here.

6 comments: